Paris, France Wholeheartedly Welcomes Wheelchair Users - Wheelchair Bound

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Paris, France Wholeheartedly Welcomes Wheelchair Users

      J'adore Paris. Indeed I adore Paris. From the moment I arrived at Charles De Gaulle Airport, I already felt France' special treatments for Persons With Disabilities. (PWDs) 
The truck at the right transports wheelchair users directly to the airplane. It has a lift, an assistant, and a spacious area for a wheelchair-bound person and a companion, complete with safety equipment such as floor mounted grab bars and seatbelts.

The truck lift produces a platform that connects to the plane, which the wheelchair uses to board.

      Remembering my scooter strolls in Paris puts a smile on my face because the presence of pavements all over the city allowed me to see its magnificence through my wheels. It is wheelchair accessible all-over. I must add that it has also street facilities for the visually impaired as its dropped curbs have tactile surfaces. The beauty surrounding me made me tearful especially when I reached the Notre Dame de Paris Cathedral. Perhaps the fact that my entrances to the attractions are free, made me more emotional. I was free at the Pantheon, the Notre Dame and everywhere I could go if only I have all the time in the world.  A companion or a carer has free entrance fees. I never expected I could enjoy such places for free just because I am a wheelchair bound person. Merci beaucoup France. 

At the Pantheon where the entrance fees are FREE for Persons with Disabilities(PWDs) and their carers


Endless and hassle-free wheelchair stroll in Paris
       I noticed, when there are constructions on some buildings, the alternative routes are being placed with ramps to enable wheelchairs to pass through the supposedly inaccessible route. How thoughtful and sensitive for Parisians to consider those ramps.


A temporary ramp in an alternative route
       At the Louvre Museum where 15,000 people line up every day, I did not even reach 5 minutes to enter the palace. Persons with disabilities have a special lane along with their companions. And then I was directed to use the lift with an operator that assists wheelchair users. As we finally entered the Louvre, I was handed out a map that shows where wheelchairs can go, the lifts for each floor, and the disability toilets. It was also nice that museum staff would suddenly come to assist me when they see that I'm ready to move to another floor. I was actually surprised by their presence. I do not know how they knew my activity amongst all of the visitors, nevertheless, I was touched by the gesture.
The special lift with an assistant for wheelchair users at the entrance of the Louvre Museum.
      Driving (since I used an electronic scooter) around Paris can take the whole day, and still, it would not be enough. There is just too much beauty to see. My toilet needs were met by toilets installed at the pavements, or at Parisian cafes, we pass by. Oh those cafes, even though they are inside old buildings and crowded, are still accessible.

       I reached the middle of the Eiffel Tower with ease. 

    The buses, particularly the hop on, hop off buses, have ramps so transportation is not a problem. When you decide to use the taxi (we used Uber) the drivers are very willing to help carry the wheelchairs in their car trunks. I even received candies from those gentlemen. 
A ramp on a Hop-on, hop-off bus

     Wheelchair-bound people, visit Paris. You will love it there because Paris loves us. Now I understand when they say "I left my heart in Paris" because I did too.

1. A boat river cruise at the Seine River, Paris has this facility for wheelchair users.

2. The automatic platform connects to the dock.
Comfortably enjoying the sights and bridges at the Seine River

Crossing the streets of Paris with ease. Notice the dropped curb with its tactile surface for the visually impaired.

The lift at the Eiffel Tower, Paris, France.
On top of Eiffel Tower and enjoying the beautiful view of the city of Paris from above, in my wheelchair.

7 comments:

  1. well dear Pebbles ... in name of Paris , i thank you about your compliments about amenagements ... city hall , administrations and lot place try to make efforts ...it s never enough , subway for exemple stay difficult to access ... some strange stuffs can happen on buses too , for exemple couple in whellchair cant take a same bus (!)...lot cafés cant have toilets specials too (lot of cafés have toilets in basement with stairs like submarines ones ) but usualy , even if we,parisians, are selfishes and impolites ,we help PWDs ... si tu as laissé ton coeur à Paris, ne t inquiète pas .... je le garde et te le rendrai contre un câlin �� kisses for you and all of you from France
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. excusez moi pour mon mauvais anglais ...j essaye de m améliorer ... Paris est une ville qui essaye de mettre les monuments et les transports à la portée des personnes à mobilité réduite (les handicapés moteur... changement d appelation n a pqs arrangé la situation des pesonnes au quotidien ) mais heureusement les choses s améliorent ... je suis heureux que Paris t ai plut ... et triste de ne pas t avoir rencontrée ici ... promis , pour la prochaine fois ,je vais demander à ce qu on retire les pavés de Montmartre
    bisous
    tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Tony. Your comments are very helpful. Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  4. merci à toi d avoir aimé ma ville ! thanks to you more to have liking ma city Paris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always adore Paris and France as a whole.😊

      Delete
  5. Makes me want to visit again. Beautiful Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Let us go back there. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete